Thursday, October 9, 2008

Respects Due


Yesterday I read some sad news about a friend. His name is Elden Titus. I knew Elden was sick and not doing well, but was not able to contact him understandably. Elden passed away 10/08/08 from cancer. I really don't know what words would even come close to making this any easier.

I met Elden on a model builders forum called Coffin Corner back in May of 2008. He was very nice, quick to respond and was excited that I was coming to Salina,KS for the KKOA car show in July. When I had figured out who was behind the screen name , I was surprised that someone as famous as he , would even be excited to see someone like me. I kept tabs with Elden until I got to Kansas and we met up, talked and had some laughs. After the show I was so impressed with him and intrigued with ideas he had that I emailed back and forth with him about coming to Omaha and spending some time with the guys here. We discussed George Barris and Gene Winfield coming here , but he was not sure they could make the trip. I asked Elden how much he would charge to come to my contest and hang out with us, his reply was "I don't charge". Well , in short we became pretty good friends in a short time. In honor of him , I will hand a special award in February at my show to a modeler who built a model I know Elden would love. This award will be presented in his memory and I will speak highly of him so everyone understands the honor of receiving it.

In the short time I knew Elden, I feel lucky to have been graced with the kindness he showed me. He was the kind of guy that was so down to earth and happy, that you could not help but want to be closer to him.
I think I speak for anyone who was lucky enough to know him when I say , we lost a good friend, a mentor and asset to our hobby and lifestyle. Those related and closest friends have a greater loss and I only hope that they can find comfort and ease of pain for their loss. Guys like Elden are so far and few between. God Speed my friend.

No comments: